This is our level 8 of Montessori art appreciation path. I was already writing about this material in my "Expanding Child's Horizons" series HERE. There I share some thoughts about importance of the art study and suggest tips for using this material. But today I want to show you how it works.
The main idea of the material is to match several paintings that correspond to one art movement. The material consists of art movements from 1870 till 1930.
Activity 1. Matching the paintings corresponding to the same art movement (art movements learning)
Activity 2. Matching paintings with names cards (learning names of the artists and paintings)
The material is color coded and has the control of error.
Material consists of
- 33 cards with paintings of big size
- 33 cards with paintings of normal size
- 11 cards with art movements names
- 33 cards with artist name + painting name (that should be glued to the back of every card)
- 33 smaller cards with artist + painting name
Material includes instruction for using
Preparing material for work:
1. Please pay attention that material should be color-coded, so color will serve as control of error for a Child, so he can work with these cards alone and check himself. So the colors of the labels correspond to the dots that should be placed on the back of every painting. You can print colorful lables for the cards, that I made, if you want so print pages 5. I also made black and white labels, so you can choose colors by yourself just using color paper. If you like it more just print pages 6, cut them and glue simple labels to spesific color paper and cut dots of same color.
2. Choose the size of the cards you want to work with.
- Normal-size cards have 4 cards on one page. If it suits you print pages 7-15.
- Big-size cards have 2 cards on one page. If you like it more print pages 8-32.
3. Print all the labels from pages 33-38.
4. Cut all of them.
5. Glue the cards with photos of artists+their names+names of the paintings to the back of the corresponding paintings. Control table from pages 39-42 will help you to match labels to paintings. Glue all the color dots to the back of every painting.
6. Laminate everything.
How to use the material:
Matching the paintings corresponding to the same art movement (art movements learning)
1. Take the art movement name card, tell its name and put it in the center.
2. Take the first painting card of the movement, tell the names of the painter and the artwork.
3. Show the other cards and put them in a row.
4. Tell the Child that all these artworks correspond to the same art movement.
5. Put the cards on the back and check if the color dots on the back correspond to the color of the art movement. This way Child will understand how the control of error works here.
6. After learning several movements you can now classify them.
Matching paintings with names cards (learning names of the artists and paintings)
1. Take the painting card and show it to the Child. Tell their names. Put the paintings in a row.
2. Take the name card, read it out loud and put it to the corresponding card.
3. When all the cards are done, turn them to the back side and compare the picture of the artist and the names. This way Child will understand how the control of error works here.
I want to make a part 2 of this material with movement that appeared after 1930.
You can download this material HERE.
Read about previous Levels of Art Appreciation: