2/25/15

Expanding the Child's horizons part 2: Teaching diversity. Children around the world

It is the second post in the series "Expanding the Child's horizons" where I am presenting materials that to my mind will help our children to see the whole world with opened eyes and to have no borders (you can read about the idea of series in part one here). 

Today's theme is extremely important. Recently it happened to me. We were together with my friend and her 9-year-old daughter. We were talking and the girl was playing. Once we started discussing one topic and my friend talked not politely about a person of a different nationality, she even used some inappropriate word. The next day I was talking with her daughter and she told me that she met a person in the hospital and used THAT word. The mother told her that it is not nice using such a word...
But to my mind, you should teach a child to respect by your own example...

Of course, here we can say that first of all we need to teach adults to be respectful - I agree, but they are already grown-ups and it is difficult to change their mind, so here I can say that if we want to change the world we need to start with children. 

I feel really welcoming to any person, maybe because my parents never talked unrespectfully about people? 

I felt that this topic is very important long before this accident with the girl, this is just an obvious example. It often happens to me that a little child meets a person of another race and he is shocked, he has never met people like this before. 

So I think we must teach kids about diversity and about respect. To my mind if a child will be taught from the early years that people are different, but everyone of them is wonderful it will really help.

Maria Montessori was the biggest supporter of peace around the world and in Montessori classroom, special place is dedicated to peace education. There even special peace materials or peace tables in some classrooms. I count this theme as a part of peace education too.

So today's FREE Printables are "Children around the world cards"




Children like to look at other children especially at the kids from another country. 
The material consists of series of cards showing children of different nations, nationalities and races. Each card contains the mark of the continent the child is from. On the back of every picture is a name of the country. There are 36 cards, 5 pictures of kids for each continent.



What are this printables for and how can they be used:

- for peace education
- for teaching diversity 
- they are made to show children that other people can look differently, but they are as much important
- they are to show that everyone is unique
- children will look at beautiful people
- they can be used during the continent study to show the people living there
- they can be used for language development If you ask the child to describe whom he sees or during other discussions
- to show that people wear really different clothes

You can download the material HERE.


Read the part 1 of "Expanding the Child's horizons" Printables Series HERE.

















Read the part 3 of "Expanding the Child's Horizons" Printables Series HERE.

Read the part 4 of "Expanding the Child's Horizons" Printables Series - HERE.


Read the part 5 of "Expanding the Child's Horizons" Printables Series - HERE.

 






20 comments:

  1. Your printables are so lovely! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This printable is such a great resource! I am sure it is very handy in many classrooms around the world!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think this theme is very important

      Delete
  3. These cards are so beautiful! I will be using them for sure. Thank you for a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much. These are beautiful and I'm sure they'll become a much loved item in our homeschool classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I am sure they will! I wish more people to use it and educate peace

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing this fantastic printable! It's absolutely gorgeous and I can't wait to share it with my children. Thanks for sharing on my facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you whole-heartedly--teaching diversity is a very important part of teaching the whole child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great Rubita! I hope togerther we can bring some changes to our world

      Delete
  7. Hello
    I can't download the printables. It doesn't aloud me to register.
    Would you help me please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Laura! I don't why it doesn't allow you to register, I would still advice you to try one more time because the site is full of coll materials. But anyways this is my email - ibelieveinmontessori@gmail.com please write me a letter and I will send this material to you directly;) Thank you for visiting my page!

      Delete
  8. This is a wonderful post! I can't wait to show my kids. :) Thank you very much for stopping by the Learn & Play link up! Your post is featured on Christian Montessori Network.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You found some great topic to cover in a linky party Marie! Posts are very interesting! I was happy to take part in it!

      Delete
  9. The idea is wonderful and I so wanted to like them. But I feel that showing those pictures to my kid would perpetuate stereotypes. I am referring at the pictures from South America. I am South American; I am also white, light hair. My husband is also from South America, he is also white, green eyes. Yet all the pictures from S.A. show kids with darker skin. Yes there are children that look like that; that have Native American and African backgrounds, but there are also many people who have a European Caucasian background, there are also children that have a Middle Eastern background and there are children that have Asian background. The reason being that 1. Spaniards and Portuguese conquered S.A. 2. There were many of them who were also mixed thank to the Moor occupation 3. They mixed with the natives 4. They brought slaves from Africa. 5. More immigration from Asia and Europe later on. In short- I don't feel like your pictures portray the diversity of the children in my continent. My kid only has to look at my family and himself to notice this. I hope this feedback helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria! Thank you for your opinion. I see your point. I can say that this is not a thing just about the South America. For example there are aboriginal people in Australia, but not all of the Australians have these roots. It is pretty difficult to cover all the diversities around the world because there are so many people and every of them is very beautiful. These cards are oriented on the younger age of children just to look at the different children around the world. Also to understand that no matter where you live but you are wonderful, beautiful and valuable. I can not cover all the diversity of the people because the material is not that big. I wanted to catch some peculiar moments from life of the children around the world

      Delete
  10. Muchas gracias, me encantaron los materiales

    ReplyDelete